Choosing a PR Agency
Why would you choose to hire an external PR Agency and should you even consider it? Any online search will yield a mixed bag of opinions ranging from stern a stern ‘no’ to a resounding ‘absolutely’. Really, the answer depends on what your goals and resources are and just how well you get along with the PR Agency you’re considering.
- You don’t need to spend as much time handling all of your PR efforts and can focus on your business
- A Professional PR Agency will be able to help shape your communications plan
- A good agency likely has many established and useful connections with news agencies and reporters
- You no longer have “full-control” over what is communicated about your company (you need to trust the agency to convey things well)
- You are spending capital to hire someone on the outside
One of the first things you need to consider before you even talk to an external PR agency is exactly what your business and communication goals are – what are you asking the PR agency to do for you and what do you want them to help you convey?
A lot of entrepreneurs make the mistake of trying to approach agencies without a clear vision of what they are looking for. Not only will this cost you more money and be frustrating, it takes a lot of time and focus away from what an outsourced PR Agency does best – bring your vision to fruition in the most lucrative and effective way possible.
So if you decide to hire an external agency, go in with a clear vision of who you are and what you want – this will be better for everyone!